Thursday, August 2, 2012

Short scenes for camera (acting) classes, 3

Feel free to use this (and make suggestions), but please include website address if printing out.

THE 'LEADER'’S OFFICE. THE LEADER PUTS DOWN THE PHONE AND SAYS TO HIS ASSISTANT, ALICE ALLEN.

LEADER
That was Huey Ray. You know what he said? He said, ‘You aren’t going to bring in this law? I know you. I had you on my knee when you were a boy. You didn’t have a streak of independence. Your parents or your teachers asked you to do anything you said, ‘Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full.’ You’re a pleaser, you want everyone to like you and you don’t want me not to like you. I put you where you are right now.

HE TAPS HIS FINGERS ON THE LEGISLATION SITTING ON HIS DESK.

ALLEN
Sir, I –

LEADER
‘And they call you...’ you know what he told me? ‘“The kingmaker’s speechmaker”.’ He thinks he’s rattled me. ‘The kingmaker’s speechmaker’!

ALLEN
Sir, I’m afraid –

LEADER
Do you think I’m like that? Alice? I’m a pleaser?

ALLEN
No sir. I think you’re the most genuine politician of our generation. That’s why I’ve stayed with you ever since the campaign.

LEADER
He thinks he’s gotten under my skin. ‘Look at your poll numbers,’ he says. He thinks I’m on the ropes. (PAUSE) But you came in for something. Why the long face?

ALLEN
Sir, they’ve identified the bodies of those aid workers. Burnt almost beyond recognition. But not quite. One of them, as you know, was my fiancé.

LEADER THINKS, THEN PUSHES THE LEGISLATION OVER TO HER.

LEADER
Schedule it!


www.gordonkaltonwilliams.com

No comments:

Post a Comment