Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Reprieved - Inner West scenes 3

These forthcoming NSW local council elections (Saturday 8 Sep) have got me thinking back to the last lot of council elections in 2008. I was doorknocking for one of the candidates in the Inner West.


Fascinated by the different ways people live... when you get to knock at hundreds of doors you would never normally knock at. At one house, the door opened, a noxious vapour escaped and only after it cleared could I make out the pale and speechless denizen who lived in that hydroponic atmosphere. Very hard to launch into a spiel at a moment like that.

Of course there's always an element of 'sorry to disturb your peaceful Saturday afternoon' in this sort of excercise. At one place I knocked and the front door was swung open by a breathless girl who was hastily pulling a wrap around her bare shoulders. 'Oh, uh...' I began. Behind her another girl, likewise quickly pulling on covering, disappeared up the hall. I pretended my focus had never left the front door frame as I launched into my spiel. 'I'm doorknocking for candidate X in the forthcoming council elections and I wonder...' 'No', the girl said with admirable decisiveness and slammed the door in my face. I think I'd seen an exquisite blend of relief and resentment flash over her face. For a brief second, she must have thought they'd been caught by the cuckolded husband, boyfriend, or girlfriend. Nevertheless...they'd been interrupted!

I went back out into the street to relate my experience to a colleague who'd been doorknocking the 'evens' on the other side of the street. Slightly insulted by my curt dismissal, I quickly recovered my self-esteem when he said, 'Oh, how come I don't get to knock on those doors?'

No comments:

Post a Comment