Monday, August 20, 2012

More Australian icons (a third lot)

I had been hoping to get up again to the Blue Mountains, west of here, before returning to the US, and was finally rewarded. It's only two hours away by train, but has a whole other 'feel' to sub-tropical Sydney (on Saturday, for example: freezing).

The Mountains contain Australia's second-best scenery in my opinion (the best being in Central Australia), and obviously the honey-coloured cliffs would always form part of my inventory of iconic Australian images.

But I had to laugh the other day when I looked into a yard and saw a Hills Hoist right on the edge of the cliff. Barrie Kosky recognised the Hills Hoist's status as an Australian icon when he used it to symbolise his Adelaide Festival in 1996, but how quaint to see it juxtaposed with the Blue Mountains' primeval scenery in this way.


All it needed was clothes to be flapping on it, for the dissonance to be complete.




3 comments:

  1. Ah, the Hills Hoist: one of the things I really, really missed about Australia when I was living in the US. Well, any kind of outdoor clothes line, but especially the rotary kind. Three years without being able to dry my sheets and towels in the sunshine – enough to make a girl cry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and it can be 40 degrees (over 100F) and dry as a bone outside and clothes are still put in the tumble dryer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would be even more iconic if it had a pair of speedos hanging from the line!

    ReplyDelete