Sunday, January 6, 2013

A trip through the yellow inland

Australians often complain that the country between Sydney and Melbourne is boring. I don't find it so. Once you get past the sandstone of the Highlands and the scribbly gum country of Goulburn the country is essentially, for about 8 hours, that expanse of yellow and blue that was celebrated by the Australian Impressionists in the 1890s. However, I'm reminded of the statement by Tchaikovsky to Mme von Meck after he came back to Russia from Switzerland: "Mountains are fine, but I'm dying for a plain."

I took some shots from the window as we travelled by XPT between Harden-Murrumburrah (NSW) and Seymour (Victoria) on Thursday.


Getting into the foothills of the Australian Alps around Albury
On this journey you see typically Australian country towns:


and it's not all plain:

Back through the Southern Highlands going the other way

Some might say this is boring country, but I disagree and I don't think I'm anticipating a future nostalgia because I don't know when I'll be coming this way again.


No comments:

Post a Comment