Saturday, February 2, 2013

Rounding off - LA vignettes 1

To my Australian ears, conversations here have marked shape. Coming out of a shopping centre in Canoga Park, I held the door open for a couple holding shopping parcels.

"Oh isn't that nice?" said the woman. "They've brought my car around."

"Oh wow," I thought. "Westfield has valet parking?" Then I looked at the car at the kerb and got the joke. It was the white Lamborghini that had been on display inside the mall earlier in the morning. "You had me for a moment," I said. "Nice dream."

"Yeah, nice dream for her; bad dream for me," said her husband.

What is it that makes Angelenos wittily round off conversations? Is it the influence of hundreds of screenwriters floating around town?


If you liked this blog, others of mine on Los Angeles are:

A daily reminder, 1 April 2011
When you take a closer look, 21 April 2011
The frame (thoughts on the Getty Center), 24 April 2011
A light on the hill (the Reagan Library), 30 April 2011
A couple of snapshots (Malibu and the Valley), 1 May 2011
More to love about LA, 6 Jan 2012
Walking with stars, 10 Apr 2012
En plein air and a little elan, 16 Nov 2012
LA Substantial, 18 Jan 2013
City of Angels, 20 Jan 2013
City of Nets? City of Dreams, 31 Jan 2013
The combination of effects, 1 Feb 2013

 

No comments:

Post a Comment