Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Connections familiar or otherwise

I took this photo in Balboa Park in downtown San Diego yesterday.



The trunk to the right, by my reckoning, belongs to a sideroxylon, that species of red-flowering eucalypt that is endemic to Goulburn, NSW. It was flowering red yesterday.
I muse over this. Throughout California, you find native Australian plants. It took decades to get Australians to plant Australian natives. And are Californians planting Californian natives? This planting of exotics seems to express a constant longing for somewhere else.
I'm more heartened when the natural networks are all still in place. One of the other features of San Juan Capistrano that I forgot to mention the other day is that each year, on or around the 19 March, cliff swallows still arrive on their annual migration from Argentina. It is good to see some links not broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment